The Poetry of a Teacher by E.C. Gomez

I met you... You met me... whether we like each other, don't you see?
I'm stuck with you, you're stuck with me
For the next ten months
Neither of us is free.

I give advice, you give me lies,
Many times we have to compromise
You make promises you never keep
For forty minutes all you do is sit!
How on earth can I teach you Lit?

I teach... you cheat
Often times you don't admit
We seem to fool each other don't you think?
I told myself I think I'll quit
But then the next day you display your wit!

There are three things a teacher should know
When to hold, when to fold and to let go
That once they've learned good things from you
They feel content and wiser too!
I'm a teacher, I know it's true.

When you have made your poems rhyme
It's sad to let go this precious time
To end like this with eyes that whine
But what can I do but wait till June
For the next batch and once more keep that poetry in tune.